Monday, October 26, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Just stumbled upon NaNoWriMo. That weird acronym stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write a FIRST DRAFT of a 50,000 word novel. Sounds obscene, but I have determined to do it. My thought is that it is one way to prove that I can actually accomplish pushing out a full-length draft in 30 days.

Contest participants from all over the world enter--last year they logged 1.6 BILLION words! Each author can enter regions they want to represent and choose a "home" region. They enter the # of words they have written periodically, and when they finish the novel, they submit it for verification. Pretty awesome.

If you are interested in neglecting all you hold dear in November, think about joining in. I entered today and am working on an outline and some research to get the thing going. I am actually considering two books--Dark Mountain Mean, a thriller/suspense set in Arkansas and Vengeance Sisters, a fantasy novel. I am leaning toward Dark Mountain Mean, but we will see how the outline goes. I can't actually write the novel until November 1, but am looking forward to getting started.

If I really commit to this, then I guess I will have to put off finishing Corruption in Colombia until January--I had a goal of finishing the first draft by Christmas. Maybe this exercise will embolden me. Then, when I am finished polishing off Corruption in Colombia, I can work the NaNoWriMo novel into something publishable and I'll have TWO books to take to agents with another idea or two up my sleeve.

I am praying now and need more prayers daily to help me do these things and be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment