Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy July (Canadian Independence Day, My Dad's B-day, etc.)

My dear dad turned 66 today.  It got me to thinking about my roots and I got a little homesick.  I called him up and he was on his lunch break at work. It is always nice to hear him.  We didn't have a lot to talk about, but I let him go as I got a business call I couldn't put off.  It was abrupt, but I felt good. 

It also made me think about growing older.  I know, middle age man concern, right?  Well, there it was:  a son going off to college, a Dad officially retirement age, my youngest staring puberty in the face;  I didn't know what else to think.  I mean, I still feel young, mostly.  I certainly still act like a teenager from time-to-time.  But I find myself more cynical, easier to irritate, less tolerant of others, my energy lacking, my interest waning.  And there is that nagging feeling I am letting things slip by--time, opportunities, finances, health, my soul, etc.  But, mostly, I know that my creative time clock is ticking.  I know that most writers can write well into their seventies.  I haven't even become established yet.  Ahh.  I can tell now I am just being a sucky-baby. 

I will stop for now.  And I will start doing something about it.  What better day than today to make a change, right?  Happy Birthday, Dad.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment